I promised an update on the greatest change this week....
You know those rafters that I've been staining and sealing?
They were hung in the kitchen this week!
Architect Kevin Harris hit another home run
with both the design and scale.
For my part, I'm pleased as can be with the color that I worried over for days.
I tried out four different stains,
gave a fleeting thought to pickling,
and was close to choosing a really dark Espresso solid stain
before I switched gears and tried this oil finish in Dark Walnut.
The stripes on the ceiling are where I taped over Pat's chalk lines
so that Joe could roll the ceilings first coat without covering up the reference marks.
The timber framing and exposed rafters
on the back and front porches are structural,
but not the kitchen rafters.
So it looks like a magic act in there now with the rafters bolted into place
and seemingly hanging in mid air without a central ridge beam.
The three ridge pieces are a few days behind in the finishing process,
but will be ready to start sanding and poly-ing tomorrow.
What a kitchen!!! I'm psyched!!!